Pinal County is divided between two MPOs and one COG. All three planning agencies have completed Strategic Transportation Safety Plans (STSP) for their respective planning areas. Pinal County is now developing a STSP that would combine relevant recommendations from all three safety plans and also meet current federal requirements for the Pinal County planning area. A cohesive plan for the County will help fill any gaps that may exist in the existing plans, such as the identification of specific regional safety projects for the Pinal County communities of: City of Maricopa, Gila River Indian Community, Ak Chin Indian Community, Town of Florence, San Tan Valley, City of Apache Junction and unincorporated areas in Pinal County.
The Pinal County STSP will address the necessary steps and elements, from a regional transportation planning perspective, to reduce the risk of death and serious injury to all transportation users in Pinal County. The Sun Corridor MPO, in partnership with the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) and Central Arizona Governments (CAG) is funding a Strategic Transportation Safety Plan for Pinal County utilizing Local HSIP funding from all three planning agencies. This project will develop a customized regional plan for Pinal County in order to address the issues and needs for Pinal County and its transportation users.
The Pinal County STSP will be developed in close coordination with Arizona’s Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP). This will ensure that federal requirements are met, statewide/local consistency is prevalent, and unique regional needs are addressed.
The primary outcome for the Pinal County STSP project will include the following:
- Safety System Performance
- Network Screening Methodologies for Prioritization of Transportation Safety Needs
- Identification and Analyzation of Available Resources for a Transportation Safety Perspective
- Regional Vision and Goals for Transportation Safety
- Emphasis Areas, Goals, and Performance Measures
- Transportation Safety Strategies
- A Strategy to Improve Safety Project Development Process
- Implementation Plan
- Identification and Prioritization of Candidate Transportation Safety Projects
- Benefit/Cost Ratio Tabulation
- Pinal County STSP – Combining the Pinal County Portions of the MAG, CAG, and SCMPO Safety Plans into one Cohesive Document for Pinal County
Safety Technical Advisory Committee (STAC)
Meeting 1 – Kickoff 01/08/2018
The STAC Kickoff meeting was held in Florence on January 08, 2018 and was attended by 23 people including representatives from the County, Regional Planning Agencies, the Consultant team, law enforcement, GRIC and several communities within Pinal County. The Meeting detailed the purpose of creating the STSP, objectives of the STSP, tasks and schedule involved in completion of the STSP and covered some preliminary crash data analysis for Pinal County.